Over our hotline, CERA provides free legal information and assistance to renters who face eviction and/or human rights issues in rental housing. Please note that our services are telephone and e-mail based, and we are unable to meet in person or accept walk-ins.
Human Rights Services:
CERA assists renters who are:
- Facing human rights-based discrimination when attempting to access rental housing;
- Facing human rights-based harassment in their rental housing;
- Require accommodations around a human rights ground such as disability;
- Would like general information about the Ontario Human Rights Code or Tribunal.
Eviction Prevention Services:
When renters face the threat of eviction CERA can assists by:
- Providing timely information about the eviction process at the Landlord and Tenant Board;
- Providing legal information about all stages of the eviction process;
- Connecting renters with resources to help them prevent an eviction and stabilize their housing.
CERA works with Ontario renters who are facing eviction and human rights related barriers in rental housing. Our workers engage with renters as team members in creative problem-solving as we advocate to prevent homelessness and overcome discrimination. We offer our services over the phone and e-mail.
Hours of Operation:
Our intake line is open Monday to Friday and is closed on all statutory holidays. Our hours of operation are:
Monday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
CERA’s intake and case workers are not lawyers or paralegals and they are unable to provide callers with legal advice or legal representation at the tribunals. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer or your local Legal Aid Ontario community legal clinic.
CERA’s intake services are funded by the City of Toronto.
The following video was created for CERA by Rod Amador of Big Jump Productions.
CERA depends on grants and donations to do our important work. Please donate to help us promote housing security in Ontario.